Last Friday, November 10, 2023 at 11 o’clock, San Sebastian Park was the home of the first annual Veteran’s Day in Cuenca. About 350 attended and to all who participated – we at MVOC say thank you.
MVOC Military Veterans of Cuenca meet monthly.
The next meeting is December 4, 2023 Monday at 1 PM
Hotel Casa Ordonez
The special speaker is Erik Martini, our Consul General, from the consulate in Guayaquil. We hope to see you there.
Veterans Day is open to all veterans from all countries, their families and supporters and the entire community of Cuenca. We celebrated Ecuadorian soldiers as well as Canadian, Netherlands, Colombian, British, and American soldiers.
A special thanks to all the following:
• Scott Mack our MC welcomed us robustly
• Reverend Will Gibson whose prayer brought tears to the eyes of many participants
• Brigadier General John Mino the Commanding officer of the Third Military Zone
• His Army Band who played numerous tunes and anthems. His translator was very engaging. He supported our event with his excellent band and made sure the area was secure with numerous Ecuadorian soldiers under joint direction with Pat Vintimilla.
• Consular Chief Mrs. Mary Fisk-Ridder from the Guayaquil Consulate of the United States of America deputy to Consul General Erik Martini. She spoke in both languages.
• Magister Felipe Ochoa the International Relations Director for Cuenca represented Mayor Dr. Cristian Zamora
• Miss Cuenca Serina Maldonado
• Veteran Ed O’Connor spoke elegantly of memories of his service.
• The coordination team: Clarke E. Brown, Pat Vintimilla, David McDevitt, Hector Munoz, Steve Waxman, Terry Bennett, Ernesto Loucel, and numerous volunteers.
• Two presentations of flowers were gladly received by Mrs. Fisk-Ridder and Selina Maldonado.
• Next year Veterans Day will likely be celebrated Monday November 11, 2024 at a place to be determined. Mark your calendars and let’s have a huge turnout next year.
Submitted by Garnett Stewart a friend of MVOV and military adjacent expatriate.
Garnett: +593 96 080 0061. Call after: 6 AM.