Would you like to escape a few days from Cuenca? Our 4-day Chimborazo tour includes beautiful scenery with highlands lakes, snowcapped volcanoes, herds of vicuñas, plus visits to authentic communities.
This is a private tour for parties of 2 to maximum 4, traveling in a comfortable, authorized van with English speaking guide. Departure possible on any day you choose.
Day 1 – Pick up time 10 AM from your home in Cuenca and private transportation to Chimborazo province (travel time 4 hours). After a short stop at the Devil´s Nose viewpoint near Alausí we arrive in the traditional town of Guamote, where we stay in the cozy Inti Sisa guesthouse. It has comfortable rooms with private bathroom, and lounge areas with fireplace. In the afternoon you can learn how to prepare Ecuadorian empanadas in a cooking class.
Accommodation in Inti Sisa Art Guesthouse / including dinner.
Day 2 – After breakfast our guide will pick you up at 8.30 AM for a tour to Atillo Lakes in the Sangay National Park (a World Natural Heritage site). After a very scenic ride of 1.5 hours arrive at the mysterious Atillo Lakes at 3540 m. above sea level. We take a hike to a viewpoint from where you will have amazing views of the paramo lakes and the cloud forest in the transition zone to the Amazon basin. With clear weather you may be able to observe one of the eruptions of Sangay volcano! In the afternoon we drive to Riobamba, capital of Chimborazo province with a privileged view on the snowcapped peaks of Tungurahua, Altar, Carihuairazo and Chimborazo. You can admire all these volcanoes from the rooftop terrace of Hotel Rincon Aleman, a hidden treasure with beautiful gardens and spacious rooms.
Accommodation in Hotel Rincon Aleman / including breakfast and lunch.
Day 3 – Pickup from Rincon Aleman at 8 AM and drive to Salinas de Guaranda, the model of a community enterprise producing high quality cheeses, chocolates, salami, wool, natural essences and many other products. We visit small factories and learn about the history of this once very poor village. Take a short hike in the Tiagua canyon in order to admire the impressive rock formations called Farallones. In the afternoon we drive to Chimborazo Reserve where you can spot herds of vicuñas, the wild cousins of llamas and alpacas, and take photos of Ecuador´s highest mountain. Return to Riobamba in the afternoon.
Accommodation in Hotel Rincon Aleman / including breakfast and lunch
Day 4: Riobamba – Guano – Cuenca
After breakfast, we will make a short tour in Riobamba and Guano, the latter has been declared a “Pueblo Mágico”. In Guano we will visit a small workshop for handwoven carpets and you can taste the traditional chola, a small bread filled with panela sugar. After this visit head back to Cuenca (travel time 5 hours) and drop you off at your home.
2 people $425 per person
4 people $340 per person
– Private door-to-door transfers in a comfortable van (authorized transportation, sanitized, protection shield between driver and passengers)
– 1 night in Inti Sisa Artguesthouse, double room with private bath and hot water, lounge with fireplace, including cooking class, dinner and breakfast
– 2 nights in Rincon Aleman, double room with private bath and hot water, gardens, rooftop terrace, use of well-equipped kitchen. Including breakfast (for dinner you can take a taxi into town because restaurants are open, or ask assistance for meal delivery)
– Private day tour Atillo Lakes in Sangay National Park including transfers, certified English-speaking guide, lunch, entrance permit
– Private day tour Salinas de Guaranda and Chimborazo including transfers, certified English speaking guide, lunch.
We have 25 years of experience as a legal tour operator, and apply the Protocols of Biosecurity for Private Transportation, Accommodation, and Tour Operation.
Remigio Romero Lt 9 y Ricardo Dezcalci
Popkje van der Ploeg
099 416 7350